"At the center of the universe is a loving heart that continues to beat and that wants the best for every person. Anything we can do to help foster the intellect and spirit and emotional growth of our fellow human beings, that is our job. Those of us who have this particular vision must continue against all odds. Life is for service." ~Mr. Fred Rogers

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Support

"It is amazingly empowering to have the support of a strong, motivated, and inspirational group of people."

Over the past couple of months, and after deciding to embark on this journey, it's the support of others that has allowed me to be so excited and remain so calm. I have always felt that this was my time for an independent experience, but I'd be foolish to think I could do this alone. Embracing the support, and realizing what a incredible blessing it is to have allows me to have such confident outlook on the unknown.

This summer, as I said in a previous post, was one of discernment, growth, and most definitely support. I had the support of my amazing host parents, Robbie & Charlie, allowing me to reflect on my work and always being available to listen. I could share with them anything, and they would also provide me with such insightful advice, coming from their own life experiences. They gave me a true gift, one that I will be trying to pay forward to others. I also relied on my Mentor Group, a fantastic collection of individuals who walked along side of me on my journey at Messiah. On a bi-monthly basis, I was able to open my experience to them, sharing my struggles and fears, but also my accomplishments and revelations. They built me up, made me confident in my role as an intern, and pushed me to think, openly and honestly. That group will probably never know the impact they had on my journey, process of discernment, and summer at Messiah, but I will be forever grateful and appreciative of their support. 

This last weekend, my parents threw a Labor Day Weekend Open House. The occasion, of course, was that I was leaving, but it also was so much more. Looking around the party, I saw family and friends all there to wish me well, and send me off. Wes and Steph flew out to be there, and to come hear me preach the next day. Kirst took time away from Grad School to spend the weekend with my family, fitting in with everybody perfectly. Jake took vacation and flew himself out to spend the week here, allowing us to have sibling time that is always fun, and also to have some time as a complete family. I had family from the other side of the mountain, spending their long weekend to show their support for me. And of course my parents, making sure everything was perfect, and not letting me worry about any of the details. They have been so helpful throughout this whole process, even if it was just to vent about the Application Process. They have shown excitement and confidence in me, like never before and there is no way I could be doing this without their guidance and support. 

It was just incredible how everyone pitched in to make the party perfect, including enough potato salad for 50, Christmas cookies in September as I probably won't be having any this December, homemade lefse, cards, notes. I will remember this weekend for such a long time, empowered by the amount of love showed to me. 

I know I have so many people rooting for me, and I cannot help to feel overwhelmingly blessed. How special to know that anytime I need a helping hand, even if I am in a foreign country, people will be praying for me, thinking of me, always wanting the best for me. It will keep me going during the tough times, and always keep me motivated to do my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment