"At the center of the universe is a loving heart that continues to beat and that wants the best for every person. Anything we can do to help foster the intellect and spirit and emotional growth of our fellow human beings, that is our job. Those of us who have this particular vision must continue against all odds. Life is for service." ~Mr. Fred Rogers

Monday, September 5, 2011

Falling into things

Nothing quite like spending the last few days of Summer hanging out with these little buggers...

A catsitting job well done!  

No Mom, I'm not bringing home two cats at the end of my service... I was catsitting for my friend Val who was touring her friends from the States around Ukraine. Жарт (Pronounced "Jart" English for Joke) and Marley "Moo" were the perfect pair to spend the last days of freedom with!

But gone are the days of alarm-less mornings and here are the days of showering, ties, and learning! Yes indeed, school has started! The first of September is known by many names here in Ukraine. Not only is it the Day of the First Bell, but also the Day of Knowledge, and the First Day of Fall! 

A blurry photo of my School Administration and Mayor
That one of my English Counterparts/Vice Director,
Natalia Vasylivna, speaking at the mircophone!


There wasn't much to the First Bell Ceremony, other than a lot of speeches, the National Anthem, twice, and students giving flowers to their teachers! Then a party for teachers to kick things off right!

The two local Priests (Ukrainian and Russian Orthodox) blessing our school year

The First Bell of 2011-2012!

And just like at the Last Bell Ceremony, one of the 1st Form girls sits on the shoulder of an 11th Form Boy and together they ceremoniously ring the first bell of the school year!

One of my favorite school traditions!

To be honest, I had an amazing summer, but I am so excited to be back at school. It's nice to be in the classroom with my students, to see those wide eyes as I explain some new grammar rule or the spelling of 'ancient'. Yes the noise of the summer breeze blowing while reading in my hammock is nice, but so is the noise of laughter from school children right outside your door.

No comments:

Post a Comment