"At the center of the universe is a loving heart that continues to beat and that wants the best for every person. Anything we can do to help foster the intellect and spirit and emotional growth of our fellow human beings, that is our job. Those of us who have this particular vision must continue against all odds. Life is for service." ~Mr. Fred Rogers

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Thirteen

Thirteen has always been my lucky number. As of this week, I have been in Peace Corps Ukraine for thirteen months. Whoa.

To say the last thirteen months have been easy would be a lie. To say the last thirteen months have been an amazingly incredible adventure would be the truth. The things I've seen, the places I've been, the people I've met have really been nothing short of awesome.

I tell people all the time, friends, family, people at site, PCVs, etc, that I really love it here. Like I really, really am having an amazing time. Do I miss home? On a daily basis. But is my life here making me extremely happy? Yes.

It's hard to look back over the last thirteen and not see a blur. Training: blur. First semester: blur. Summer: blurrrr. And now Winter is quickly approaching is here.

This past week I went back to Kivshovata with my clutermates Evan and Asia. We had a week break from school and wanted some homestyle lovin' and that's exactly what we got. Unfortunately Mama Lecia had to go to her sister's house last minute, so I stayed with Asia's host Mom. What a fun, relaxing, and filling 3 days. The three of us walked around and reminisced, laughed, and talked about how far we've come and how much we've learned.

On a continual basis I am reminded of the blessed life I live. Not because I am surrounded by tragedies and situations that make me sad, but because I am surround by the complete opposite. I work with caring, loving, and happy people. The students are fantastic, motivated, and crazy/out of control children. My PCV friends are genuine, intelligent, and supportive partners. My Fan Club back home is humbling, encouraging, and filled with love. The last thirteen months have exceeded the  wildest expectations of my 5th Grade dream come true. Blessed to have had these last thirteen months and blessed to have thirteen(+) more.

No comments:

Post a Comment